THE BAY OF BISCAY
This is now the small lake at Sydney University of Parramatta and City Roads. It got its name because of the number of bullock drays that got bogged there.
Owned by Mr Stephenson in the 1850s, the hotel was on Glebe Rd and its sign showed the figure of a man through a globe of the world.
The strip between Walsh Bay and Pyrmont Bridge was known as the ‘Hungry Mile’ during the Great depression of 1930. Men, woman and children, mostly waiting for sustenance be it light work, ration cards or the soup line, assembled here and some even lived in makeshift accommodation.
Custom of a bell being rung at 6pm on the corner of College and Oxford streets, Paddington, as a warning that females should not venture into the suburb after dark. This possibly had something to do with the fact that the suburb was the home of Victoria Army Barracks.
.(in George Street) iwas much frequented by the young swells and sprigs of the city. They held here a chess club, a billiard club, and a tweed-kidney club. Little marble tables, files of Punch and the ‘Times’, dominoes, sherry cobblers, strawberry ices, an entertaining hostess, and a big, bloused, lubberly, inoffensive host, were the noticeable points of the Cafe. They served 800 dinners a day.
Future advertisement showed it was still there in 1889.
The Bells Hotel, Woolloomooloo, where maritime storemen and packers were hired. This hotel was originally known as the Three Bells and colloquially as the Bunch of Cunts.
Hotels called the Rose, Shamrock and Thistle were inevitably called the Three Weeds.
The Bondi Beach Esplanade because of the elderly people who daily promenade there.
Kings Cross Road.
A Mosman resident.
A reference to the leafy northern suburbs of Sydney.
Kings Cross at the Victoria Street end.
Corner of Park and Pitt streets, Sydney.
Reference to Kings Cross (root a sin sexual act) although Rooty Hill is actually a western Sydney suburb.
Colloquial name for la Perouse residents
The hair of horse, cattle and goats was used to strengthen the mortar of early Sydney buildings. Many of the women from the Female factory at Parramatta also sold their hair to builders.
IN THIS SECTION:
NEW SOUTH WALES and SYDNEY